Friday, April 30, 2010

Toddler food

We've been working on getting Lauren to eat more of what we eat for dinner lately.  I don't want to have to fix her a separate meal, or chicken nuggets to be exact, if I'm not sure she doesn't like something.

Monday night we ate salmon for our meat with broccoli on the side and I fixed her chicken nuggets... but about halfway through my salmon fillet I decided she needed to learn to eat salmon.  So I put one bite on her plate and she stabbed it with her fork and ate it!  I could tell she didn't just love it, but she didn't try to spit it out.  I asked her if she wanted more and she said no, but I convinced her that maybe she would like it if she dipped it in ketchup.  She ate another bite that she dipped in the ketchup and she asked for more!  YAY!  So now we can add salmon to the ever growing list of things she likes to eat...
Meats:
chicken - any way it comes
pork tenderloin/roast (if served with rice)
BBQ pork
Beef roast
ground meat (as hamburger steak, taco meat, etc)
shrimp
catfish
salmon!

Vegetables:
green beans
broccoli (loves!)
English peas (loves!)
carrots
corn

Fruits:
bananas
mandarin oranges (from the jar)
clementines - freshly peeled (just learned this week)
strawberries

Starch:
rice (LOVES rice, any kind)
pasta (LOVES pasta, includes mac 'n cheese)
stuffing
french fries
chips

Misc:
cheese
eggs
banana bread
muffins
m&m cookies

She likes to eat enchiladas, loves spaghetti (regular and chicken), quesadillas, beef tips and rice...

I'm sure I'm leaving a lot of stuff out, but this is more for me to remember than anything else.  The one thing she really doesn't like is mashed potatoes!  (Really she doesn't like potatoes unless they come as french fries.)  I think it's a texture thing.  She will eat them if you put a piece of roast with the bite, but she won't eat them alone.

I guess she's a pretty well-rounded eater.  At least I hope so!

Our main issue right now is that she is a sssssllllllloooooooooowwwwwww eater.  We usually try to get her plate ready a few minutes before we even sit down because she will drag out the meal like it's her last one!  I think it's a bit young to start putting a timer on because she has no sense of time.  Or maybe I'm expecting too much since she's only 2 1/2 and has the tiniest little mouth (but she can cram it in there if she wants to!).  We try to speed her up by reminding her of fruit or dessert.  Sometimes it helps... sometimes it doesn't make a bit of difference.  She is required to eat everything on her plate before she gets dessert though.

No comments: