Friday, April 23, 2010

Bless her heart...

We live in a small town, just south of a big city.  I've mentioned this before.  And I love living in a small town for lots of reasons.  But sometimes you just have to wonder about some of the folks you encounter in this small town.  Wednesday was one of those times.  You just shake your head and think, well bless her heart, she really hasn't got a clue.

Let me explain.

I got Trey a cookie cake for his birthday.  Our local small town grocery store sells them in the bakery and will decorate it for you.  Of course, it's nothing like the icing decor that the Great American Cookie Company can do.  Or TCBY makes cookie cakes too.  I didn't know that until my mom got my birthday cookie cake from there this year.  Oh, it was pretty!  I took some pictures but never posted them.  I should have.  Anyway, the point is, the cookie cakes from our local grocer are smaller and less fancy, but they taste like the Cookie Company or TCBY cakes.  So, I wanted to get Trey one because I know he likes them.

Here's how the conversation went as I stood at the bakery counter to order the cake:
Me: "Hi, I would like to order a cookie cake, please."
Baker 1: "A what?"
Me: "A cookie cake."
Baker 1: "Oh, I thought you said a cream cake or something and I don't know what that was."
Baker 2: "I thought she said king cake, and we only do those in season."
Me: (wondering if I'm speaking English at this point) "No, I said cookie cake.  Just a regular cookie cake, please."
Baker 1: "Okay, hold on just a minute."

Baker 1 disappears and Baker 2 is standing by me inspecting something in the open cooler.  Baker 1 returns walking as slowly as she possibly can.

Baker 1: "Okay, now what did you want?"
Me: "I want to order the rectangle cookie cake."  (FYI, they have two shapes - the round one and the rectangle one to choose from)
Baker 1: with a blank stare..."I don't know what that is"
Me: "Um... okay, you know you have the pre-made round one's behind me over there? (pointing), Well, I want one custom made, but I want the rectangle shaped one instead of the round one."
Baker 1: another blank stare... "I don't know what you mean."
Me: (thinking to myself... this is unFREAKINGbelievable) "Oh, um... well, do you um, you know the shape... it's like a square, but um..."  I have no idea what to say at this point.

Basically at this point Baker 1 is not understanding what a rectangle is.  I couldn't even laugh because it was just so crazy that I'm standing there trying to explain a shape that my 2 1/2 year old daugher would recognize.   At one point she just asked me how to spell it because she was just going to write it down.  Finally, Baker 2 enters the situation when Baker 1 asks her if they have any rectangle cookie cakes (I don't know if she finally understood it was a shape they offered, or what).  Baker 2 says she doesn't know if they have any "back there" (apparently they order them and they come already formed in the pan...).  And then she just stands there looking at me.  I finally just asked her if she would go and check to see if they have any and she agrees to go look.  It was like the idea of actually going to look had NEVER EVEN OCCURED TO HER. 

At this point I'm trying to not get frustrated with these people, but I'm sure the look on my face was a dead giveaway.  Baker 2 returns with a rectangle cookie cake (frozen) in her hand and says it's the last one they have right now.  I told her I'll take it.  I explained what I wanted the written on the cake and for their sake I made it as simple as possible.  She seemed to be confused on the colors I told her, but if she messed up the colors I could care less at this point.  I was just hoping that the cake would still be there by the time I made it back to pick it up on Thursday.

I picked it up after work on Thursday and was pleasantly surprised that the colors were what I asked for and that it actually said Happy Birthday Trey.  Although Trey looked very close to Troy, but whatever.

I didn't get a picture because as soon as I walked in the door with it Trey had a knife ready to cut a corner off and devour it as an appetizer.  I'm telling you these cookie cakes are good.  Enough if it's a bit of a hassle to get them home.

3 comments:

Amanda L. said...

Well....that is pretty amazing...um, to say the least! That is too funny! At least Trey enjoyed it so it was well worth the enduring that bakery experience!

Ashley said...

I am sure the experience was surreal. I would have been laughing and thinking that I was being punk'd.

Elizabeth said...

:o) i think you were punk'd.