We live near train tracks. Very near train tracks. They are not in our yard, but it sure sounds like they are. I am so bad a judging distances, but maybe they are half a mile? away. The trains, they come often. Way too often if you ask me. Any WHY?! do they have to sound that loud CHOO CHOO! for so long and so close to our house.
It is grating on our last nerves.
But it only becomes an issue at night. And really, Trey and I don't hear it at night. But Lauren does. And she has become afraid, frightened, perhaps hysterical whenever that whistle blows and she's in her room in the dark.
We have tried to explain to her that "trains aren't scary, just loud... they're fun! Choo! Choo!"
But it's not working... it's like trying to reason with... well, with a 2 year old. Logic goes out the window in a hurry.
We are choosing to blame the daycare. Oh I know, that's not really fair, but seriously she did not always have this issue! And the daycare is also close to the same set of train tracks, and everytime a train goes through and one kid hears it and cries, then they ALL start crying.
We don't know what to do. It seems like last night no less than THREE trains came through in an hour. That was such a fun hour at our house...
Train goes by... Lauren cries... Mama or Daddy goes into her room... Calms down the upset child... Leaves room. Repeat 3 times.
Oh my word. I'm going to have to figure out if it's KCS, Union Pacific, or some other train company and give them a call.
Our sanity is at stake here.
1 comment:
My parents live near train tracks, too. I find the sound of a train during the night comforting. I can remember being awake late at night reading, and I'd hear the train whistle and think how I wasn't the only person in the world still awake. Of course...I was probably in jr high or high school, so it might take her a while to come around to it! Hang in there!
Post a Comment