Wednesday, February 03, 2010

For now I'm doing the dishes in the laundry room

Well now we've thrown out everything including the kitchen sink.  I kid you not.  The kitchen sink is sitting on my back deck.  Let's start from the beginning.

A few weeks ago the faucet in the kitchen sink started dripping.  You could jimmy with the handles and it would still drip.  Drip, drip, drippity drip.  Slightly aggravating, but managable.  So, this past Sunday I was doing something like washing dishes or whatnot and I turned the faucet off and the water continued running.  It wasn't forceful, just water running slowly, but much faster than a drip, dripping.

I jimmied with it and couldn't get it to stop running.  I threw my hands up in the air and called it quits.  Trey witnessed this and sensing my frustration tried to help fix it.  Nothing worked.  And he quickly realized we had a bigger problem under the sink where the water lines are.  Now he knew that something was not quite right a few weeks ago when the drip, drip, dripping started, but it wasn't a disaster.  But now it was reaching a disaster and needed to be fixed.

Being resourceful and always saving stuff from other houses, we actually had another slightly used, but in good shape faucet to trade out with the broken one that was drip, drip, dripping.  He started working on that immediately and quickly discovered it was not going to work because of the much larger plumbing problem under the sink.  And other stuff... I don't really understand it all, but the point is - it wasn't going to work.

And then he broke the news to me.  "I'm going to have to take out the sink to fix this."

"Do what now?"

"And since I'm taking out the sink I'm gonna go ahead and rip out the countertops too."

"Seriously???"

"Yes! I only want to do this once and we've already talked about changing the countertops out so let's just do it now and get it over with."

"Okay."

Of course I'm sure I didn't just say OK.  Trey can testify to the whining and nashing of teeth that followed.  But ultimately he's right (oh, I hate it when he's right!).  He shouldn't have to replace all that plumbing more than one time.  So, for the time being (after he's finished installing everything) my kitchen countertops won't match (we are only ripping out the side that has the sink in it for now).  But I don't really care.  At least I'll have my kitchen sink again!

The pictures of this process are still on the camera and I've just been too lazy to get them off.  Because did I mention that we've been sick?  Nasty cold and congestion junk that gave me a nice fever over the weekend and not much sleep.  Trey's got it now too and I'm just hoping and praying that Lauren doesn't get it! 

Anyway, I'll post pictures and update this post as soon as I can or as soon as I feel like it... whichever comes first. 

No comments: