Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Be careful little ears what you hear, from your mother

I have a bad tendency to say things like Dang it! and Oh My Gosh! and use the word Freakin' (as an adjective) sometimes.  I know this is not as bad a cursing, but still I'm becoming more and more aware of the things that come out of this pie-hole.

Especially because I know little ears are listening.

Now I'm not constantly throwing these words around all the time, but in a moment of frustration or irritation I might say one of the above.

Case in point.  This weekend we went down to Trey's hometown for his grandmother's funeral.  It was somewhat unexpected and somewhat not.  She had been ill for a long time.  And she is in a much better place now.

So, it was really cold this past weekend and raining/sleeting/icy.  Just a general mess and did I mention it was cold?  If you've known me for any length of time you might know that I HATE BEING COLD.  Oh, how I HATE COLD WEATHER.  And when it's raining it's just 100 times worse.  I have a point.

The sweet little country church fed the family lunch before the funeral service.  We were served in their fellowship hall and naturally by the time we got there Lauren had to go potty.  We were directed to two double doors that would lead us to the bathrooms.  We pushed the doors open and it was like walking into a freezer.  Walking through the small storage area and into a hallway where the bathrooms were located was pure torture for someone who hates being cold.  The bathrooms were no different.  I got Lauren situated on the potty and clearly wasn't thinking when I said, "Oh my goodness, it is FREAKING COLD!!!"

Mistake.  Lauren looked at me and said, "Mama, it's freakin' cold?"

I thought, CRAP.  SHOOT!  I mean, DARN IT!  Well, that's not any better!

"Well, yes baby, it is VERY cold.  Mama should not have said that.  Let's just say it's SO cold. Okay?"

"Okay, Mama. It is so cold?"

"Yes, baby.  It IS SO COLD in here!"


_________________________________________________________________________________
Also... Lauren has been singing, "Heeeeeyyyyyy, White Liar!" (Miranda Lambert's new song)
I laughed the first time I heard her sing it.  Because I know she heard it from me.  I know, I know... it's not the best song as far as content, but it's cute and I'll start singing it before I realize what I'm doing.

However, for the record, I asked Lauren where she heard that song and I PROMISE YOU she said, "Daddy's truck."  HA!!!!! 

I'm not taking the wrap for this one.

Oy-vey!

No comments: