Lauren’s surgery update:
Friday morning we left home at 6:45 am and made it to the hospital in plenty of time to make our 7:30 am check-in time. They called us back... yadda, yadda paperwork, then back out to the lobby. A few minutes later we are called back to "the back" and she get's weighed, measured, and changed into her baby scrubs. We are taken to our room and we wait. Our surgery time was not scheduled until 9:30 am so we had a lot of waiting to do... In between digging in my purse, playing with the cell phone, and tickling sessions we are visited by the anesthesiologist nurse, the child-life worker, our surgeon's nurse, and the nurse that dispenses the Tylenol. However, we NEVER got to talk to our doctor in person. I asked to and they said that her schedule did not allow for it. I find it a little irritating that she was too busy to talk with a parent that requested to see her. That just doesn't scream good bedside manner to me. And yes, I completely understand that our "surgery"/treatment is minor compared to others. But still... it would have taken about 5 minutes, TOPS. Huff.
Sooooooooo... anyway - they called Lauren back right on time at 9:30 am and she SEVERLY protested being removed from Mama's arms. At that moment I totally second guessed their offer to give her the "goofy" juice. Next time we'll request the "goofy" juice.
I think the procedure lasted 10 minutes, max. I'm in the lobby and I get a nod from the guy at the front desk that the phone ringing on the wall is for me. Dang. I was really hoping that I could at least talk to the doctor after the procedure, since I didn’t get to beforehand. I mean, it is me or is a phone call a little … cold? So, doc says that surgery went fine… she did address a couple of concerns that I’d talked to her nurse about… the spacing of the dots… and other things. She gave me an explanation, but it’s not exactly what I was looking for in terms of an answer. Again, huff. These things are beyond my control and I have a hard time with things not being in my control.
But the first step is admitting you have a problem right? Well, I’m on the right track because I know I have this problem.
Okay, so after I hung up with the doctor I am allowed to go back to the recovery area and rescue my screaming banchie/daughter. She is usually REALLY mad in the recovery area. I think she’s a little scared and mad at the same time. But once they finally let us go she is back to her happy self. She passed out in the car on the way home and got a good little cat nap. Bless her heart she was just so worn out.
All in all… the day went well. We go back in 6 months for her next treatment. The doctor did give us some encouraging news though – she said of all the PWS patients she has, Lauren’s PWS is the lightest. So that’s good news, right? Let’s do before and after pictures now:
One day old:
2 months old:
7 months old: 
14 months old:

2 months old:
7 months old: 
14 months old:
19 months old: (day before laser)
Day after treatment.
She looked at herself in the mirror and said, "Ball!"
4 comments:
I can definitely tell a difference from when she was a day old. I'm glad that everything went well with the laser treatment even though you didn't get to talk to the doctor like you wanted to. That can be very frustrating! Lauren is just a doll!! I can't wait to see the after picture to see how much more her PWS lightened. Also...I can't wait to see pictures of your house. How did the move go?
Her hair is soooooo beautiful! It's getting lighter!!
Next time (if there is one) refuse to sign the anesthesia consent until you see the doctor; it worked for my dad! If her schedule is so tight that she can't talk to you, not having her patient anesthetized when she is ready to go will completely get her attention!
That is a great idea! I would not have thought of that on my own. It definetly helps having friends in the medical field! Thank you!
Post a Comment