Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Never a dull moment, I swear

When it rains it pours, right?  That is going to be my new mantra because I'm living proof.  Last week on my first trip to our corporate offices I got a speeding ticket.  Now, if you know me well then you know I've been pulled over many a time and never gotten a ticket.  So, yes, I know I was due for one.  The difference this time was that I honestly didn't realize I was speeding.  I know, "that's what they all say", but this time it was true.  No mercy from the cop.  So, I paid my ticket and mailed it off yesterday.
And this morning we got in a car wreck not 5 minutes after leaving home.  Craziness.  I was turning on a green light thru a large intersection when another car, on the street perpendicular to the one I was leaving, came barreling through the intersection and ran through his red light.  He literally came out of nowhere and it really freaked me out.  I was fixing to straighten the wheel from turning when we were struck and I was dumbfounded.  I never saw him until he hit us.

It gets crazier.

I called the police before getting out of my car.  We both get out at about the same time and I realize it's an older man getting out.  He came limping toward me and I thought, "oh no... here we go."  Thankfully he said he was not hurt, but he was CLEARLY confused about what happened because he accused me of running over him.  ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I calmly explained that I had a green light (for a fact people... another car went through the intersection before me) and there was no way his light was green since he was on the other road.  I told him that I thought he might have run the red light.  Of course he argued with me.  And then he tried to tell me that he was traveling in the other direction... which is impossible because that side of the road is two laned and one way.

At this point I realized that something was wrong with him.  And then I was positive he had issues when he asked me to write my name on the back of a check in his checkbook and then wouldn't take the checkbook back from me.  Seriously, I kept trying to hand it to him and he wouldn't take it. 

Thankfully the police believed me and would not allow the older man to drive home.  I thought he was suffering from dementia, but come to find out (the police officer working the accident called me later) he was diabetic and his blood sugar was over 500!!!  He could have passed out while driving or worse.  Apparently the officer took him home and then they realized how high his blood sugar was and called an ambulance to take him to the hospital.

And that's when I felt so sorry for him.  I am still concerned about his health and I genuinely hope he is alright. 

So... the 'Burban is going to need some repair work done.  Fabulous.  I'll be in a rental car for a while I'm sure.  The damage isn't awful, but I'm unable to open my front passenger door and that door is dented in pretty bad.  I'm just so glad that I drive a tank.

And I'm eternally grateful that God kept us from getting hurt.  If I had been just a few seconds earlier going through that intersection then we could have been T-boned and it would have hit Catherine's side of the car.  Thank God he was watching over us.  My girls are the most precious things to me and I can't imagine either one of them getting hurt.

In other news there is a family that is looking at our house.... they have seen it two or three times now and they are trying to decide between our house and another house that is a little less expensive, but smaller and doesn't have a pool.  Of course I think our house is better, but it's out of my hands.  Hopefully they will choose ours!  We should know something by the end of the week.  Fingers, toes, and legs are crossed!!!

So, that's what's been going on here... never a dull moment.

1 comment:

LA and BD said...

Glad you guys are ok and no one got hurt!