Monday, April 19, 2010

Crazy disappointed

I am shocked by the news that Jennifer Knapp "came out".  I just don't know what to say.  That's not true... I have lots of thoughts:

1.  Is it hypocritical of me as a Christian to want to not listen to the music I have of hers?
2.  Yes, a sin is a sin is a sin... that's what we are taught, so in the eyes of God her sin is just as bad as my sin of gossip or speeding or anything else that seems minor.  And that's it too, as humans we rate our sins, but God doesn't.
3.  But God explicitly says in the Bible (that I believe is God's divine Word and should be lived by, John 1:1) that homosexuality is wrong.  See Romans chapter 1.
4.  God teaches to hate the sin, but love the sinner.
5.  But I don't know if I can listen to any of the songs of her on my iPod the same way again.
6.  It's not my place to judge... Romans 2
7.  Am I judging her or just strongly disagreeing with her lifestyle choice?  Is there a difference?  I have no idea.
8.  I was really looking forward to hearing her new album and now I don't think I'll buy it. 
9.  I guess this makes me intolerant... but I don't see that as a bad thing, because I can't tolerate something I don't agree with.  It's the same as abortion for me... I do not think it's right and I never will.
10.  Being intolerant doesn't mean I am a mean or hateful person. 
       "Paul tells us to treat each other with tolerance. This doesn't mean a wishy-washy stance on their morality, but rather treating each other with kindness, patience, humility and love."

I don't know.  I still don't know what to think about this "coming out."

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/music/interviews/2010/jenniferknapp-apr10.html

Did you see this article?? If you haven't, gives some insight into her thoughts on the matter.

Ashley said...

The very same week you originally posted about JK, Austin and I had a similar conversation about her and her music. We also deviated and threw out some speculations and observations for her absence
that immediately made us both feel guilty for even discussing. Too bad those speculations and accusation were found to be true.
I'm with you though, I just can't listen to her the same way.