Disclaimer: The following post contains the words Tee Tee and poop.
Help... please help. We are in the throws of potty training and here is how the conversation goes EVERY DAY:
Me: Lauren, do you need to go potty? (first thing in the morning, I KNOW she has to go)
Lauren: No, Mama... I don't want it! (She says 'it' instead of 'to')
Me: Okay, well if you Tee Tee in the potty you can have an M&M.
Lauren: No, I don't want it Mama (VERY whiney voice)
Me: Okay, let's get dressed then.
Lauren: I wanna Tee Tee, I wanna Tee Tee Mama!!!
Sometimes she Tee Tees, sometimes she just sits on the potty and whines about wanting to get down.
It's the exact same conversation when we are getting ready to get in the bathtub. She has a FIT and does not want to cooperate. I don't know what to do. The daycare teachers tell me that she's ready to start wearing underwear to school. I have a hard time believing that. Every time I ask her if she has to go potty she says no. Every time.
The strange thing is that she poops in the potty. I know, that seems backwards. She doesn't do it everytime, but when she's with us as home I can usually get her to the potty before she poops in the Pull-Up.
But I'm stumped on what to do about the tee teeing part. Do we just stop asking her? Do we keep asking her and let her say no all the time? Do we try to keep bribing her with m&ms? Do we force her to sit on the potty?
Advice, please.
7 comments:
Im no help; potty training is not going well at our house.
Well at least I'm not alone in this! :)
Hey Tracy! So I'm going to admit that I've been lurking and throw my hat in the ring on this one. I realize that Olivia is only 9 months and I've not trained my own child, but I would suggest not asking for now. Maybe when you get her up if you said "okay, it's time to potty/tee tee/whatever before we [insert daily ritual here]" then she will get the hang of the idea. I'm sure that at daycare they have to take the children to the bathroom en masse at least once or twice a day without them wanting to go, right?
--Moity
Good Luck! It's always a challenging issue. I would say don't stop, but you may want to change your approach. There is a book called Toilet train your child in a day where they train a doll. I did it using stuff we already had & let Kaleigh "train" her doll, then that afternoon they start doing it themselves. It worked for her within a week. I also combined that with a "potty party". Once again, just casually, nothing over the top. I'm all for rewards! We did it for a while & at some point she started to forget about it. Don't worry, she won't be 15 & still asking for m&m's!
i'll give my 2 cents...although i've only potty trained 2 boys. i say if she doesn't want to sit don't make her...but constantly talk about the potty and going potty. we watched elmo's potty dvd and read the book once upon a potty. i also used this site for a potty chart.... http://www.freeprintablebehaviorcharts.com/toilettrainingcharts.htm
we taped it up in the bathroom by the potty. i also gave them lots to drink and let them run around in their underware w/ the plastic underware over it so they would know when they were wet...and it wouldn't make a mess. i got them at walmart and they were made by gerber. i'd set the timer so i'd remember to ask if they needed to go. we have a little potty so i moved that in the playroom and sometimes they would just go on their own...or right next to it. :)
good luck! she'll get there!! and if it's stressing you out STOP! it's not worth the stress!
for some reason the link didn't all post. here it is again... http://www.freeprintablebehaviorcharts.com/toilettrainingcharts.htm
Well, for Tabitha she started going to the potty when she wanted to go to school. I told her she couldn't go unless she used the potty. That was her driving force. Owan, she just did it when she was ready... Which wasn't very long after Tabitha started using the potty. She just made up her ownmind that she wasn't wearing diapers anymore and that was it. So, sorry, no advice here. Good luck though!
Post a Comment