Saturday, November 07, 2009

Quite the smashing day...

We had a great Saturday today.  Right up until we got side swiped by a ginormous maroon Suburban.  It was just me and Lauren in the car.  We're okay though, no one was hurt.

But my poor Camry is damaged...

Driver side back end


Close up... ugh


Poor rear view mirror

Here's what happened:
We had a great play date with Robin and Kate.  We left just before 3:00 and I was on the exit ramp trying to get onto the frontage road before getting on the interstate.  Cars were blazing by and so I had to stop at the yield sign and wait for a gap in the traffic before getting on the frontage road.  Behind me was a maroon Suburban.  It looked HUGE as she drove by tearing into the side of my car.  I thought she was tired of waiting on me to merge onto the road, so she just decided to drive around me, but what she told me (and the police officer) was that she thought I had already pulled out and she didn't check before she pulled out (and ran us over).

Either way, it was not my fault and unavoidable for me (unless you say I should have just gone straight home, but excuse me how was I supposed to know we were going to get creamed).  But if was going to pick a person to get in a car wreck with, it would be this nice lady.  She was so kind and so apologetic.  She felt so bad and was genuinely concerned about Lauren, making sure she was okay.

At least she admitted it was her fault.  Why, Lord???    What is the purpose of THAT CRAZY CAR ACCIDENT?  I will never know the answer to these questions.  Perhaps it was because God was protecting us from something way worse.  For that I am grateful... that it wasn't worse and I am so thankful that no one was hurt and that my car was driveable. 

Poor Lauren, she didn't get upset really.  She just kept asking, "What happened, Mama?"  All I could say was, "I don't know baby... we just got hit by another car."


Odds are I'll need a new bumper, tail light, and side panel.  So, since this wasn't my fault, do we have to pay our insurance deductible?  Surely not, but I'm getting conflicting answers from different folks.  I sure hope we don't have to pay that, because that would be $1,000 down the drain.

And we'll have to find a repair shop and see about getting my Yota back to looking brand new.  A big ordeal will this be, certain I am (say that in a Yoda accent).

Ovey!  Here's to hoping that next Saturday is less eventful!

5 comments:

LA and BD said...

EEK! Glad you guys are ok!

Elizabeth said...

Am i the only one who doesn't know what ovey means? :o)

Tracy said...

I misspelled it... it should be Ov vey! :
Oy vey (Yiddish: אױ װײ), or just oy,[1] is an exclamation of dismay or exasperation [1] meaning "oh woe."

Jennifer said...

My poor sister and my sweet niece! I'm sooooo glad you're both okay! The car isn't too bad, considering she was driving a mom-mobile!!

Oy vey!!! ;)

liz said...

thanks for the explanation!