Thursday, November 12, 2009

The good news is tomorrow is Friday

So, yes, there are drawbacks to living in a small town: 
1.  No big shopping centers (unless you count the strip mall that has Payless and Cato, ha!)
2.  No fancy restaurants.
3.  No big pretty parks with hiking/bike trails.
4.  Longer drives to get to Lowe's and Wal-mart.


But I think there are a lot advantages to living in a small town to:
1.  The people are so friendly.  I have a story about that.  Okay, so the last time Lauren had her laser procedure we were given a prescription for some pain medication.  Of course, she fell asleep on the way home from the hospital (not before throwing up twice), so I didn't want to get her out of the car to run into the local pharmacy.  Thank goodness even small town pharmacies have Drive-Thru pickup.  Except that's the kicker, the Drive-Thru is typically for pick-up only.  This time I needed to have a new prescription filled and then wait for it.  Oh, but the people were so sweet and understood my situation.  And they always remember who I am... especially Lauren.  Here's the best part.  I really needed to get some Gatorade to help Lauren's icky tummy and I knew I didn't have any at home.  So, when I asked the pharmacy lady if she would mind getting me a couple bottles of Gatorade from the food section she smiled big and asked me what flavor I wanted.  That's the way people should be treated every where... small town or not.

2.  There's no major traffic problems.  I love this!  I can leave work at 5:00 pm and be home before 5:15 pm.

3.  Freds.  Call me crazy, but I love Freds!  And most small towns have them... at least they do down here.

4.  Being able to live close to wear you work.  This is huge to us!  Before, when we lived about 60 miles away from work, we were spending hours in the car every day.  Not a great quality of life for us, especially for Lauren.  Now we live about 5 minutes from where Trey (and Lauren) spend their day.  It's great!

Living and working close to each other is also a big benefit for when you leave your car keys in your husband's vehicle and he goes off to work unknowingly.  He can come right back and be in the driveway 5 minutes after you hang up from calling him squalling.  It's also a benefit for when your car battery is dead and you need a jump start and your husband is only minutes away and can come save you.
I'm not saying that either of these things has ever happened... to me.  One of which did not happen this morning.

1 comment:

Warren & Jennifer said...

ditto about needing a jump start! I did this last week! I had left the "lift gate ajar" on my vehicle (not all the way, just enough to make me think it was closed, but it really wasn't) and my car was dead with only 1/2 hour left before a dr. apt. for Mallory. Warren rushed right home and saved us! oh, I love Fred's too! and that pharmacy lady is awesome!