Tuesday, October 20, 2009

And now it's time for a house remodel update

When my parents came to visit a few weekends ago Trey enlisted my dad's help with Mantel Ripout and Carpet Removal.

Before:

After:
The plan is to replace the mantel with a nicer, more formal design and incorporate a new gas fireplace (the old one was wimpy!, wimpy!, wimpy!). The sides of the mantel will be flanked by floor to ceiling bookshelves with storage underneath. Similar to this:


Instead of having carpet in the living area we will replace (and ripout the old) with new darker hardwood floors. Think brazilian cherry or darker. They will be 5 to 6 inch planks because we like the wider planks.

Now, I realize if you've been with me for long you are thinking, "Why are you putting down hardwoods in your living room when you RIPPED OUT HARDWOODS in your last house to put down carpet?" And to that I would reply, "We changed our minds. Carpet gets so dirty and hardwoods are easier to keep clean. And it's our perogative." :)


We will still put down carpet in the master bedroom downstairs (I think... unless we change our minds. Ha!) But the office (formerly Lauren's room) will get hardwood floor.

The downstairs guest bathroom is getting completely overhauled as well. In a matter of 30 to 45 minutes it went from this:


to this:


I told you, Trey is fast ya'll. He means business come demolition time. But no job is complete without a little helper. :)


I don't have a picture of it, but the tile floor has been removed as well... and the new tile has been purchased and is ready to be laid down. We need to pick out a new pedastal sink that is replacing the old cabinet & sink (see above). And we need to figure out the wall color. We were planning on painting the bathroom and office (the doorway to the left is the office door in the above photo) the same color. And we decided on a blue/gray color, but I think the color we tested is more of a baby blue. Anyone have a great blue/gray color they can share?
Any questions?

No comments: