Saturday, June 27, 2009

It's A Dirty Job, But Somebody's Gotta Do It

Instantly I am thinking of Mike Rowe, from "Dirty Jobs". We should have called him and had the film crew come over and video us while we blew insulation on Friday.


It was a very dirty job... the following pictures are proof positive.




We blew in 90 bags of cellulose (recycle paper, oh yes ma'am we've gone green) insulation in a matter of about 4 hours. Whew... I'm still tired thinking about. I'm just glad it's over.
Here are the 90 bags... yes, they are in my kitchen.

We had to carry all of them upstairs. They were loaded onto the dolly 4 at a time and then one by one we carried them up the stairs. They weigh 26 pounds a piece. Not a ton, but they get heavy after a while. Oh, but we also had to carry the machine that blew the insulation. THAT was heavy. I don't know how much it weighed, but it doesn't matter... it was heavy, that's all I know.


Trey was the chief sprayer. I was the chief loader. I've had many titles in my life, but this one I do not want to have again. I have no pictures of the loading and blowing process because there just wasn't time for that and I didn't want to ruin my camera by getting junk all over it. It was hard enough to keep up with the machine.

First you have to pick up the 26 pound bag off the stack. Then you grab your razor cutter and split the bag open so half of the insulation falls into the machine. It comes out in chunks, so you have to break it up so the machine can churn it and suck it into the hose and Trey can fill the space. Then you pick up the rest of the bag and dump it in. Repeat 89 more times.

We filled 3 rooms upstairs (the area in between the floors) and added some insulation to the attic.
Did I mention I'm still tired and sore from all that? My word... that was tough.





Now we have to get the new floor down and the rest will be cake. HA! HA... Ha... ha... hum.... not really. This is one bedroom upstairs... we did this last night after Lauren went to bed.

But at least we're getting somewhere... finally.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!

First of all, painting is an ordeal to me, so that is just too impressive that y'all did that yourselves.

Secondly, those pictures make me think of what you will look like in 40 years with grey hair! Ha ha! Y'all are cute!