Thursday, March 12, 2009

New Orleans trip...

... or Nawlin's if you're from around there. I just got back from a one night business trip to New Orleans earlier this week. Boy, it has changed since the last time I was there (which happens to be YEARS before Katrina hit). The trip was interesting... best word I can use to describe it.

We ate at Deanie's Monday night. That was really good... I love crawish etoufee and it was yummy. It went very well with the fried crawfish tails and fried calamari appetizer. I'm sorry but I think crawfish just tastes much better in Louisiana. Try it, and you'll agree with me.

After dinner the group of six went strolling down to the French Quarter.... I saw many things... heard many things.... and got blisters from walking in high heels. I was totally unprepared for how far we walked. If you are from down there I will tell you that our hotel was on Poydras and we walked to Deanie's from there... then down around Canal and Bourbon street and over to Jackson Square where we stopped to have beignets at Cafe Dumonde. But the beignet was totally worth the blisters and bruises on my feet. I wish you could get some good beignets up here. Sigh...

All that to say... (and pardon me if I offend anyone from NOLA) but I didn't like Bourbon Street. I didn't like the noise, smell, or the nasty ladies with barely anything on hangin in the doorways of the caberets. I wanted to run back to the hotel as fast as my blistered feet would take me. Which would not have been very fast. Although I would have been able to pick up the pace after I stopped in a tourist shop and paid $12.99 for a pair of black flip flops. That was sweet relief to my poor little toes.

I was just scared that me or someone in our group would wind up being the top story on the local early morning news. Maybe it's bad that I think that way, but I would rather be SAFE than SORRY here folks. Just keepin' it real.

And I don't have a single picture because I didn't bring my camera. Although some of the things I saw I don't want a permanent reminder of...

No comments: