Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Mattress

Well, I never did say whether or not we were approved by the Haverty's mattress folks to get a replacement mattress.  Thankfully ours had a bad enough, or good enough defect that we were approved!!!  They gave us a FULL REFUND on our 7 year old mattress.  THAT is great customer service, ya'll.

Two weekends ago we spent an entire afternoon trying to find a replacement mattress.  Being stubborn and hard headed I refused to even consider another Serta mattress, because Serta is what failed me and in my mind they are no good anymore.  I think this totally frustrated Trey because I wouldn't even walk on the side where the Serta's were. 

So, basically our choices were between Sealy, Stearns and Foster, and Temperpedic.  We laid on our backs, our sides, and flopped like fish on those beds to see how it would feel for the other person to roll over in the middle of night.  I think that is our biggest issue with bed-sharing.  We wake each other up when we roll over.  I am constantly telling Trey he flops like a fish out of water when he "rolls" over... that is the point, he doesn't roll, he flops.  I'm sure he has some chief complaints about me as a bed partner as well, but at this point he is kind enough not to tell me.  Or if he has mentioned them to me I don't remember, convenient, huh?

So, back to the mattress selection... we hemmed, we hawed, we had it narrowed down to 2 mattresses.  One would have been a complete even trade, we would owe nothing.  The other mattress was more pricey, but offered a longer warranty.

In the end, we chose.... the Temperpedic.  It was a little more expensive, but in our minds we got a $2500 mattress for $900.  They delivered it last Friday and we got to sleep on it for the first time on Sunday night.  It takes a little getting used to, for one, our previous mattress was one of those huge 18 inch thick things and sat up much higher.  I had to get a running start to get in the bed, or at least use the platform on the side of the bed as a ladder.  The Temperpedic is only 12 inches thick and isn't quite so high, but has made getting in and out of the bed much easier.  Also, this new mattress feels bigger.  We figure it's because it's flatter and I feel like we can both spread out more.  Although I think Trey still has a slight tendency to sleep in the middle of the bed it doesn't bother me anymore because I'm not rolling to the center since this mattress is firmer and doesn't "dip" in the middle.

And the commercials are all true!  You really don't feel the other person moving in the bed even if they are right next to you.  And I haven't woke up with lower back pain in 3 days.  Now, Trey's back was hurting a little on Monday morning, but he has also been sitting on a tractor seat every night this week.  So... I don't think any mattress is a cure-all.  But this one sure comes close!!!

I would highly recommend it (and no, I didn't get paid to say that).

No comments: