Thursday, August 12, 2010

Searching for the words...

There really has been a lot going on lately, but I'm searching for the words to write it all down.  There is house stuff, and Lauren stuff, and everything else.  I'm overwhelmed with thinking about it all so I haven't had a lot to say even though there is a lot on my mind.

The easy part is the house stuff.  Oh, sure, it's a huge mess in the living room/dining room and kitchen right now, but at least we can see a light at the end of the tunnel.  Trey tirelessly primed and painted the entire celing in the living room this past weekend (while I was sick).  He also painted all of the crown molding and taped off the floor to spray the base molding and back doors.  All of this in preparation for the carpet to be  installed.  We are hoping that will happen on Friday, but we'll see.  Also, he began putting up the tile backsplash in the kitchen.  It's going to look so great when it's all done.  I can't wait!  Trey has been working so hard.  We are trying to get it all done before we have company come in for Lauren's birthday party.  It will be very informal and casual, but still we want it to be as put together as it can be.
Having the carpet put down will be a major accomplishment.  It will make the downstairs feel more put together.  We have been living without carpet in the living room (and on the stairs) since October of last year.  Now, we have not been using the living room downstairs, but it will still feel good to have carpet in that room.  I'm going to do cartwheels as soon as I step foot on it.  And then I might roll around on it for a while, just to fully appreciate it.
.
.
.
Lauren is turning THREE next week and the sass is coming out more often.  I find myself telling her that I don't appreciate her attitude.  I also recall telling her last night that since she was IN Preschool now that she needed to ACT like a Preschooler.  In hindsight this may not have been the best advice.  Every Preschooler I have ever seen is full of sassiness and attitude.  She pushes every button I have and at the very same time she is extremely sensitive.  It's a juggling act trying to get her to behave and understand without having a complete meltdown every day (me and her).  Most of the time I feel like I'm not doing a good job at correcting her and I'll start to feel bad about getting onto to her so hard.  And then she cuts her eyes at me and I forget about all my guilt.  I fully believe that three years old will be more challenging than two years old ever was.

It is still taking her a sweet forever to eat dinner every night.  Even when it's something I KNOW she really likes, she just takes her time.  Now this has it's own conundrum for me.  On the one hand I do really want her to learn to eat at a faster pace, while still cleaning her plate.  She can't take an hour to eat dinner every night and she needs to figure that out sooner than later.  BUT, on the other hand, while she is taking her sweet, precious time finishing her dinner I am able to get all the dishes done, get leftovers put away, and most often I'm able to pack my lunch for the next day.  I'm extremely efficient while she is singing, and playing with her food finishing her dinner.  I think it might be time to set a timer and start enforcing it.  I'm tired of having to convince her to eat dinner every night.
.
.
.
Trey's mom is not well and there is so much I could say, but I will leave it at this.  She needs prayer (and prayer for Trey's dad who is caring for her) and someone needs to find a cure for Alzheimer's.  It is the most horrible and sad disease.  It's heartbreaking.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh, Tracey, I will definately keep Trey's family in my prayers! You are so right, Alzheimers is a TERRIBLE disease!! We just lost my Mamaw Monday after her 8 year battle with alzheimers. I pray everyday that they find a cure before my mom or I reach that stage!