Thursday, June 10, 2010

I'm a broken record...

I keep saying if I find just one more gray hair on my head, then I'm going to color it.  But so far I've found three gray hairs this week and I haven't made a hair appointment to color it.

I'm timid when it comes to my hair.  A ninny, if you will.  I got just a basic trim the other day and I wanted to white knuckle the arm rests.  You can't even tell that I got my hair trimmed... well, I can tell that it feels better, but no one else would notice it.

I used to do drastic things with my hair (never color-drastic, just with cutting it).  Once, I came home from college on a weekend trip and I got about 6 or 7 inches cut off at one time.  It took me forever to grow it back out.  Why did I do that? 

But that is my usual pattern.  I will grow my hair out, and then chop it off... grow it out again, and then chop it off.  Or, to spice things up, I will cut some bangs, and then grow them out.  But this last time I got bangs I decided to keep them around for a while.  I think I've actually been sporting bangs (side-swept) for over a year now!  That's a new record.  I think I look better with bangs anyway... they help to hide the funky widow's peak forehead I've got.

That's really the root of my problem.  I am so overly-critical of myself. 
-my forehead is funny looking
-my hair feels thinner than it used to
-I have to wear these dumb glasses (but I picked out a new pair this week!  i'll post some new pictures when I get them)
-I am getting deeper forehead wrinkles (the bangs help disguise this!)
-the fine lines under my eyes are getting worse
-and the recent addition of some gray hairs...

But there are other reasons I'm nervous about coloring my hair:
-what if it after I get my hair colored it all falls out?  I know this is highly unlikely, but these are the things that enter my mind...
-what if I hate the color?
-what if it doesn't work?

But everyone gets older and most people get gray hair... so the question is, do I choose to go gray gracefully, or hit the salon every 2 months and get a color job?

1 comment:

LA and BD said...

Well, we both know that I'm pretty much the opposite of you in this area! I had 6 inches of my hair cut off last night on a whim...I decided (while sitting in the chair for a trim) that I needed a new summer 'do!

I say you try a few caramel colored highlights -- just enough to cover the few grays... nothing drastic. It will blend in with your natural color and grow out gracefully if you don't like it.