Ah, the pacifier. What on earth would we do without it? We'd have a screamin' mimi on our hands, that's what. This girl... LOVES her Paccy. That's what we call it at our house. My baby brother's was a "Binky". But whatever you call it, it's a necessity for car rides and at bed time.


So... how do you decide when it's time to give up the Paccy? I mean, she is now 15 months old. And although she is far from "Big Girl" status... she is walking and "talking". But if we don't have a Paccy in the car with us... well, let's just say if she's tired, you DON'T want to ride with us. It's not what I would call a joy ride. And she has become quite dependent on the little sucker (no pun intended) to get herself to sleep.
Here's the real deal folks... when she promotes to the 18 month old class at daycare (or school, as we like to say) she has to be rid of her paccy. When I first found out about this, I nearly choked on my gum. DO WHAT? First of all, is it not the parents choice as to when to give up the Paccy? Apparently not with Army daycare. They have some strict rules. But then, it IS the Army people. And then I thought, well... she probably needs to be done with the Paccy by that time anyway. I don't want her to be one of those children that runs around with a Paccy in her mouth trying to talk to you. That's a bit much. *(If that is your child and you are offended, I apologize)*
Here's the real deal folks... when she promotes to the 18 month old class at daycare (or school, as we like to say) she has to be rid of her paccy. When I first found out about this, I nearly choked on my gum. DO WHAT? First of all, is it not the parents choice as to when to give up the Paccy? Apparently not with Army daycare. They have some strict rules. But then, it IS the Army people. And then I thought, well... she probably needs to be done with the Paccy by that time anyway. I don't want her to be one of those children that runs around with a Paccy in her mouth trying to talk to you. That's a bit much. *(If that is your child and you are offended, I apologize)*
So, Trey and I were talking on the long car ride home yesterday of when to begin "the weening process". Oh dear, I DREAD this. Because you see this? I told you, she LOVES her Paccy.


So, we have decided to wait until after the holidays to start this process. That will give us a full 2 months before she promotes to her new class. Surely that will be enough time, right?

Trey thinks we should quit cold turkey. YIKES! I was thinking more along the lines of a gradual removal of the Paccy. Right now the only time she gets it is when she is in the car and when it's time for sleep. Other than that, it's out of sight. So, I thought maybe we could start by removing it from the car rides. Hopefully by this time she'll be forward facing and we can coincide the two events. Turn the car seat around and no more Paccy. Then after a week of that we'll remove it from naptime. I'm sure the daycare is going to LOVE me for this... but hey, it's their rule to begin with, right? And then, after a couple weeks of no Paccy at naptime, we remove it from bedtime. I presume that this will be the hardest step.
Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? Testimonies to how you did this? I need comments here... Please!
6 comments:
I'd like to know what people think too. Just like Lauren, Taylor is addicted to her paci! I never had to deal with a paci with Landon because he never took one. I'm definitely not ready to give it up with Taylor right now! I know that time will eventually come! I think the plan you have sounds good to gradually take it away. Sounds less painful!
hey tracy,
i guess i'll come out of lurking and comment on what worked for us. :)
i think blake was 15 mths when we took his away. he had only been getting it when he was in bed but had started wanting it more... so i figured before he got too attached we'd just cut it off. andrew was 2 when we took his away...and only got it in bed too. anyway, i have found it easiest to poke holes in the passy at first. that way there is know suction. then after a day of that i started cutting down the nipple part. he'd still try to suck/chew on it when he was in bed but that was it. i gradually cut it down so short that he couldn't bite it. for a couple of nights i'd find him w/ the passy in his hand. after a while he'd throw it out. andrew had to sleep w/ his cut passy a little longer than blake did. i always did it at nap b/c i had more patience then. :) and they both probably cried at nap and that night but then they were over it and just held it. so, that's what worked for us. don't worry...it's not as bad as you think it will be. good luck!
Oh, I had never thought about cutting it, but that is a GREAT idea!
I say cold turkey like Trey. Only one or two miserable days - better than drawing it out and confusing her by giving it to her sometimes but not other times. Dads are smart - plus we don't like hearing our daughters cry!
Oh dear, now I'm conflicted... and I don't do well with conflict.
What to do, WHAT TO DO???
Okay, I've decided... that I'm not making a decision today. Ha!
Not only am I conflicted, but I'm a procrastinator... THAT can't be good.
The daycare has also told me it is time to start taking away the paccy. The director said it in a joking way just after he was 1. I told her that we just took the bottle away...one step at a time!
Anyway, Jay does not get it at daycare unless he is napping. Even then we have found him spitting it out while asleep. I don't know just yet how to take it away in the car or at bedtime either. And I'm not sure that he or I either one are ready. A friend told me not to take it away until he was ready. However, Anna was never ready. I don't remember how we finally got rid of it for her but she was one of those children who talked with it in her mouth! LOL!
Someone suggested to me that he give it to Santa Claus. That way he wouldn't want it back. Only problem is that he isn't old enough to understand that concept just yet!
Good luck! If you find something that works pass the info on!
Post a Comment